We are recruiting prospective PhD students who are willing to join our Research Systems team located at the Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Brisbane, Australia. Candidates are expected to commence a 3-4 year PhD program (duration depending on rate of actual progress), undertaking research in the Information Systems (IS) discipline. Candidates will be supervised by Prof. Guy Gable (who heads the Research Systems team) and will be advised to apply for a QUT PhD scholarship (if you do not already come with a scholarship). Upon successful application for the QUT scholarship, candidates will receive a QUT Tuition Fee Waiver Award (candidates are exempted from paying tuition), a monthly stipend of approximately AUD$2,200 over 3 years.
A PhD is not like a coursework masters or Honours. A PhD for most candidates, is the largest, most complex and abstract project you will ever undertake. Our supervisory capacity is scarce; neither you nor we can afford to later identify a mismatch of expectations. We seek to avoid students entering into a situation that is more demanding than anticipated.
In particular, we are interested in candidates who (will) hold Bachelor or Master degree (before 31 March 2017) and who are interested in and passionate about research related to the Information Systems area (including both behavioral and technical oriented research). Prior research experience and background knowledge in the IS field are preferred.
The candidate must meet one of the following two conditions:
- Hold or will hold a 4-year Bachelor degree before 31 March 2017 and
- Have a GPA comparable to at least 6.5 on a 7-point scale, and
- The degree contains a dissertation examined by at least two examiners or the grade of the thesis is at least 6.0 on a 7-point scale;
2. Hold or will hold a Masters-by-research degree before 31 March 2017 and
- The degree contains a dissertation examined by at least two examiners;
In addition, the candidate must also meet all the following conditions:
- Have at least one refereed 1st authored paper in a scholarly journal or conference publication;
- Have (or will have) an IELTS (academic) (or equivalent English language) test result of at least 7.0 on every sub-score and at least 7.5 overall score;
We also prefer candidates meet the following additional requirements:
- Interested in and passionate about scientific research;
- Proactive and independent;
- Can work effectively and efficiently;
The Queensland University of Technology (QUT) is a young university (less than 30 years), located in the city-center of Brisbane, Australia. In 2013, QUT is ranked as Australia’s top university under 50 years of age (link). The Times Higher Education 100 Under 50 is a ranking of the top 100 universities under 50 years old, showcasing young universities that have achieved strong success in research and teaching. QS Stars is a rating system that awards universities between 1 and 5+ stars, looking at everything from the employability of graduates, to sports facilities and community engagement. QUT was awarded a global five-star rating in the 2013 QS Stars university ratings. ERA (Excellence in Research Australia) evaluates the quality of research undertaken in Australian universities against national and international benchmarks. In ERA Outcomes 2015, Information Systems (0806) at QUT was 1 of only 4 IS groups in Australia to receive the top rating of 5 meaning ‘Well above World Standard’ (link). Based on publications in the top eight journals in the field of Information Systems 2010-2014 (latest rankings available), QUT is in the top 50 universities globally and in the top 3 in Australia (link).
Contact & Find Out More
To enquire please contact:
- Professor Guy Gable
- Academic Director Research Training, Information Systems School, Science and Engineering Faculty, Queensland University of Technology;
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Website: www.gggable.com;
- Doctor Meng Zhang
- Research Fellow, Information Systems School, Science and Engineering Faculty, Queensland University of Technology;
- Email: email@example.com;